after life

Almost ten years ago I watched the beautiful Japanese film After Life, and it enchanted me and sparked my imagination so much that I have carried it around with me in my heart ever since. The film is based on interviews with more than 500 people about the one memory they would choose to take with them to heaven. In it, people who have recently died are told that they are to look back at their life and choose only one memory that they can to take along with them into eternity. The process compels people to look back at their lives in its entirety and realise what was truly important.

Ever since I have carried this notion around with me. I would be living my life and suddenly think "Is this it? is this the one time I would keep with me forever?" What memory would I ever take with me to the afterlife? How could I ever choose just one? Would anything ever be perfect enough to keep solely and for always? My thoughts would often turn to this film, how I was living my life, and my memories. And I never was satisfied with myself or able to choose.

But then my daughter Adelaide came to me and without a doubt, no hesitations or regrets, I have made my choice. And I am quite certain that this may never change.

What I want to keep with me for always, forever, and beyond, is simple: Cuddling then drifting off to sleep with my little daughter, her sweet breath gentle upon my cheek. I am already missing these times, and I know full well that they will not last forever.

Today I decided to try and capture this for myself to have for always. 

What would you choose?

together by you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment