last day of summer



I have been meaning to be sure and take photographs of my sweet Adelaide on her last day of summer. For in the morning, she starts Kindergarten!
She is so ready. I am so not ready. For the past couple of weeks, I've been waking up in the random wee hours, my heart racing, gripped in a nonsensical panic. I feel as though the most amazing and magical time of my life - these years spent being with my little daughter - are drawing to a close.

My heart is aching.... not for her, for I am so proud and excited for her. But for me! I have always thought of myself as her teacher and had many soft-focused visions of homeschooling, but it's just not what she wants. Addie is the type of kid who adores school - going to school, learning, making and being with friends, helping her teacher and classmates. She's been talking of and waiting for this day for years. I could never keep her from her dreams.

But, I have realised that learning doesn't only happen on school days during school hours. And that even if my daughter wants to go off to school, it doesn't mean that I won't be her teacher anymore. I intend to (try to) have the best of both worlds for her, supporting our local school and homeschooling her still - in all of the other hours.

I intend on always being Addie's teacher.

(...Even though my heart is still aching.)

UPDATE: Addie and I did great! We love her new teacher who is warm, professional, believes in having the children learning out-of-doors as much as possible, believes that learning is a teacher-parent partnership, and obviously adores children. Not one tear was even shed (by either of us) and Addie can't wait to go back today. YAY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment