almost three years old

The other day Adelaide and I were about to head out for a walk, and the light was pretty - plus she looked so cute - that I paused to take some photographs of her.

She rarely ever smiles for my photographs - I can't even remember what I had to do in order to get this teeny smile! And, often times this little dog is the only way I can get her to leave the house.

In a few days my little girl will be three years old. This both feels both melancholy yet joyous, eerie yet uneventful to me. Because, in the overall scheme of our lives, this day is just another day. Because even our time together has flown by in a heartbeat, it also feels to me that Addie and I have always known each other, even long before she came to me. And that we belong together, her and I.

For even as a small child, I always felt that something was missing. There was always a constant ache in my heart and no matter what I poured myself into, it was never quite filled. I was constantly looking, wondering, hoping, and waiting.

But I never expected at all, that when my daughter was born and they gave her to me, that I would instantly know: This is whom I've been missing my entire life.

And my heart has been filled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment