an invitation for an almost four-year-old

I recently set some time aside to make invitations for my daughter Adelaide's upcoming birthday party. I've actually not been in much of a party mood, and for a time I was kind of hoping that I could slip this one by her - but no luck! Addie has been chattering on and on and on about her birthday for months now, and so I finally realised that I need to just get it together and plan something special for her.

So, I was feeling rather blank and kept waiting for the elusive inspiration to come! Finally, one afternoon Addie made a random little comment: she said that she wanted to "make flags for all of her friends". And I finally had ideas, with which I made a loose sketches to keep for later.

When I had some time, I went through my bin of fabric and paper scraps and selected out many appealing bits (Adelaide helped with this). Using my sharpest scissors and an exacto knife, I cut out lots of triangles and other shapes, and with them made my composition. I then scanned them into photoshop, where I cleaned up my image and decided what was missing, and scanned and added accordingly.

When satisfied with my image, I saved my file into a .tif and placed it in Illustrator. I do this because I despise working with typography in Photoshop, Illustrator is much better for this kind of work. There I then added the copy, going back to slightly tweak the background image in Photoshop a couple of times until it worked out best for the space. The typeface I used is from the Neutraface family, a font which I adore!

One completed, I printed them out onto heavy watercolour paper using my (Epson Stylus Photo 1400) desktop printer, trimmed them down using a sharp new xacto blade and metal ruler on a cutting mat, and rounded the corners using my corner rounder. Ready to go!

In this age of evites and emails, invitations seem almost redundant, but I love the idea of having made an invitation for my daughter each year, collecting them up just for her. My goal, eventually, is to frame them up all together, year by year, for her to keep for always.

This is my gift to her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment