little garden

My mom was a farm girl, and so growing up we always had a big garden. Now every spring I have an incredible urge to make a garden, and I hope to give Adelaide a green thumb (and heart!) just like my mom gave to me. 

So far, I've never had a big yard to make a big garden of my very own - although I have books with tagged pages, notebooks of sketches, and a folder full of snippets of inspirations. One day, I shall make the garden that I have been dreaming of for so very long. But until then, I have been making do each year with a potted garden, whether it be on a balcony or just a tiny window ledge. And I am constantly amazed at just how many wonderful treats can come from a few pots.

a garden of pots by you.

This year, We have perhaps 7 or 8 pots of all sizes dedicated to our bellies. They are overflowing with strawberries and blueberries, romaine, leaf, and butter Lettuces, and lots of basil, parsely, cilantro, mint, rosemary, and chives. The fragrance is wonderful!

I have also been trying to involved Adelaide in all aspects of growing our little garden - from collecting rocks around the neighbourhood for the bottom of our pots from drainage, to filling them up with soil and planting the seeds, to watching our babies grow, giving them water to drink, and sheltering them with a umbrella when the sun gets much too hot. Every day she runs out to check if there is a strawberry or two for her. I haven't eaten one yet!

And then, the cooking and eating! Together we have been whipping up lots with the snippets collected from our garden: Fresh pastas, Thai curries, our very favourite: Vietnamese Salad Rolls with lots of fresh mint, cilantro, and basil. And fresh Bruschetta made of chopped tomatoes, onions, and lots of basil with freshly grated parmesan, topped on bread grilled on the bbq. Yum!

What would you cook up? Any more ideas for me? For I am running out...

watering the babies by you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment