baking up christmas

Because of my diet (gluten, dairy free) I don't ordinarily do a lot of baking, but somehow last week I discovered that my daughter Adelaide is a very happy baker. And so, together we spent a few days baking up a storm!

We made batches of chocolate peppermint cookies (a recipe I found in an old Martha issue), cranberry shortbread (which is my favourite - an old family recipe which I love to add sundried cranberries to), glazed lemon cookies (a recipe I found through Sally Shim's blog ages ago and have been meaning to try), and classic gingerbread, too (recipe from Martha as well). While I didn't sample too much, I hear back from many eaters that all these recipes are very nice and very yummy!

Then Adelaide and I sorted and packed up a dozen cookie samplers to give and mail away as gifts. We used crisp new white tea towels for lining and arranged them carefully in pretty bowls and willow baskets. I designed up a gift tag using Adobe Illustrator, and printed them out onto a sheet of heavy Strathmore acrylic linen canvas paper. I also printed out a photograph which I shot after baking a batch of cookies - Addie pausing in the middle of happily licking the wooden spoon - and included it along with the tag, tied with a pretty ribbon around our bowls and baskets.

Just last night we drove all around town, Charles, Addie, and I, singing along to cheesy christmas carols on the radio, surprising our best friends and dropping off our homemade cookie gift baskets to them. It was such a sweet and lovely evening, and I feel happy to have shared it with those whom we love the most.

0 comments:

Post a Comment