surrounded by trees

These have been perfect days, sunny with a hint of Autumn in the air. September is my very favourite time of year, and I've always wished that it lasted longer here in the Pacific Northwest.
from the hill by you.
Addie and I have been taking full advantage of them by staying mostly out of doors with our many little projects: frog-hunting, wandering through the forest, trotting around the university, picking crab-apples, collecting treasures (pinecones, rocks), chalk drawing around the neighbourhood, and planting our little garden (We save seeds from our apples and make a mission together to go out and plant them - she loves this!)

Oh, and we've been looking for Owls, who we hear hoo-hooing at each other all night long. (I can hear them right now, outside my window!) It is such a beautiful but haunting sound, and everyone is fascinated by it, but most of all Adelaide. She has been spending a lot of her time pointing around and up at all of the places she thinks that the Owls may be. And we have been looking at a lot of Owls in books together, too.
little elf girl by you.
It is interesting to me that the things that Addie indentifies in books - pointing her tiny finger most decidedly - are almost exclusively natural types of things such as trees, leaves, flowers, pinecones, flowers, butterflies, bugs, ponds, ducks, birds, owls. Her very favourite books all have something to do with the natural world - Planting a Rainbow, The Sun Egg, I am a Bunny, Spring is Here - off the top of my head. I actually had to show her in books what a house and car were - all of the other things she just seemed to know and be a lot more interested in. Like they already are so much a part of her.
making trees with elliot by you.
Today the weather turned cooler and a little bit grey again and so while Adelaide slept I dragged out the tree quilt that I have been working on. So far I have made about 4 dozen little trees in about 25 different green fabrics. I have about 10 or so more green fabrics to make into trees, and then I will begin sewing these little patchworks together to make a quilt. I find this task satisfying and relaxing - the perfect task for a grey afternoon inside.
for a tree quilt by you.
I feel so lucky that these days I am surrounded by so many trees, both in my world and in my craft. I love them, and I'm pretty sure that they love me, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment