making home here in this place

painted shelves by lovelydesign
Since moving in earlier this year, our new old house is slowly, patiently, starting to come together. The house was built in 1910, and the gentleman who owned this house previously (and I do know he is a gentleman because he left little helpful notes for us all over the house, and dropped off the history of the house just the other night) - he was a cabinet maker and the house was *full* of his shelving, all over, everywhere. It's taken us months to minimize much of it, and it took me a couple of weeks to paint out these built-ins. (5 coats!) The main floor has 9.5 ft ceilings and these shelves go all the way up. It was great fun trying to paint with Reid in his climbing ladders phase.



The other day, I found that Addie scribbled these scrawlings all over our front stoop, and I wanted to capture them before the rain faded them away forever. It feels like this house is where my heart lives. Where our hearts live. I really love it and my soul feels at home here in this place. Everything seems to have come together and it is a magical feeling. And I love having lots of little minor projects to keep me busy. I am constantly planning and plotting! This type of thing suits me well. I am happy here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment